The United States has paused a $14 billion arms sale to Taiwan, with contradictory explanations from senior officials raising questions about Washington's commitment to the island's defense as Beijing watches closely.
Acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao told the Senate Appropriations Defense Subcommittee Thursday that the pause was due to munitions needs for Operation Epic Fury, the ongoing conflict with Iran that began in late February. "Right now we're doing a pause in order to make sure we have the munitions we need," Cao stated, insisting the U.S. still had "plenty" of missiles despite growing concerns over depleted stockpiles.
Yet Cao's explanation contradicts President Trump's own stated rationale. Last week, Trump indicated he was holding off on the sale as a "negotiating chip" with China following his summit with President Xi Jinping. "I haven't approved it yet. We're going to see what happens," Trump told Fox News, saying the topic was discussed with Xi "in great detail."
The divergent messaging highlights deeper uncertainty about U.S. policy toward Taiwan at a moment of heightened tension in the Taiwan Strait. In China, as across Asia, long-term strategic thinking guides policy—what appears reactive is often planned. Beijing's interpretation of this pause matters more than Washington's internal contradictions: Chinese officials will view any linkage between arms sales and bilateral negotiations as evidence of eroding American resolve.
The pause also represents a potential violation of the Six Assurances, a set of policy principles established during the Reagan administration in 1982. The second assurance explicitly states that the U.S. will not consult with China on arms sales to Taiwan. If Trump's framing is accurate—that he discussed the pause with Xi—it marks a significant departure from four decades of precedent.
Senator Mitch McConnell expressed alarm during the hearing. When Cao said the sale would be approved "when the administration deems necessary," McConnell replied: "Yeah, that's what's really distressing."
The United States has reportedly expended thousands of missiles since the Iran war began on February 28, burning through nearly all long-range stealth cruise missiles and depleting Tomahawk, Patriot, Precision Strike, and ATACMS stockpiles. The White House plans to request an $80-100 billion supplemental from Congress, with significant funds allocated to backfill weapons expended during the now 12-week conflict.
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth has dismissed stockpile concerns as "foolishly and unhelpfully overstated," yet the decision to pause Taiwan arms sales suggests greater resource constraints than the Pentagon publicly acknowledges.
Taiwan's representative to the U.S., Alexander Yui, urged continuation of the sales Sunday, framing them as essential deterrence. "If we want to prevent a war from happening, I think it's best that Taiwan is strong, able to defend itself," Yui said.
From Beijing's perspective, the pause—regardless of its stated justification—reinforces the Chinese assessment that American commitments are conditional and negotiable. For Taiwan, the contradiction between Cao's munitions explanation and Trump's diplomatic framing creates dangerous ambiguity about whether Washington views the island's defense as a strategic imperative or a bargaining chip in great power competition.
